Thursday, December 29, 2011

Kampung Warisan Refurbishment



When I bought a unit in Kampung Warisan, the maintenance fee was only RM0.26psf, which is one of the lowest in Kuala Lumpur for this standard of facility. Last year, the management corporation called for a meeting among others to discuss about increasing the maintenance fee to RM0.36psf. This seems fair considering inflation, higher wages and wear and tear of the huge compound. Many people who attended the meeting agreed with the proposal which was tabled as the last agenda. As the meeting dragged on, most people decided to leave early. By the time the meeting arrived at the agenda, the decision was to raise the fees to RM0.50psf instead of RM0.36. Many of us were stunned. I found it incredible. 1st of all, since I read the agenda to increase the fees to a fair amount, I decided I did not have to attend the meeting because I agree with it. Had I known it would be this high, I would make sure I'd attend to ask questions and if not satisfied, I'd like to vote the proposal down. Many owners felt the same way.


Kampung Warisan is almost 20 years old and many things are falling apart. It is also an extremely challenging environment, damp in some areas and heavily wooded in some. The meeting made the decision to raise the fees to RM0.50psf to pay for the refurbishments for a period of 3 years. Beyond that, we understand the fees would be reverted to the earlier proposed RM0.36psf.


It has been a year. And the refurbishments are underway, roads paved, lawns regrown and roof tiles replaced. I must say I am satisfied with the quality fo work. So now I feel I don't mind paying the extra fees or levy. For sure Kampung Warisan will look much more beautiful and the value will certainly increase.

11 comments:

JS said...

I totally agree with you.
The management committee has done an excellent job in upgrading the common areas and in return property value has also increased.
In recent months, there seems to be more buyers than sellers, and it's not easy to find a good unit at bank valuation price.

Anonymous said...

15 acres of land - in my opinion should sell some and use the money to upgrade the place. Who would want to live next to a six foot cobra or become a feast for the mosquitoes?

Anonymous said...

sinleong- i have a one bedroom unit in kg warisan f/f and am thinking of selling it at 500k..do you think this is a good price ? mine is a corner unit - only 4 units on my floor..view of inner courtyard (not melur block)..

do you see further upside ?

sinleong said...

i think 500k is challenging. highest rent now for the 1br is RM2.5k. have you checked what is the valuation?

Ms Tay said...

Hi Sin Leong, am new in this blog but have been an avid follower of this blog due to my interest in Kampung Warisan. When the agent brought me to view one of the units, i instantly fell in love with its unit's layout, the unit that i viewed was 1540sq ft and its landscaping. I noticed that the sale price published are rather high and there have been a big jump in price after the refurbishment. Need your kind advise....do you think its still worth it to buy at the current price, rm750k onwards for 1540sqft?

sinleong said...

depends which side it's facing

Ms Tay said...

i believe those that are facing the pool can acquire higher price, which block do you recommend? how about for those that are not facing the pool, how much do you think the reasonable price is? Am seriously thinking of getting one unit next year preferably between 1400 to 1540 sqft. The pool view might not always available in the market for sale. Thanks for your advise.

sinleong said...

all the best ones faces the pool..i think it's block tanjung or kenanga. can't remember. they are probably around RM800k and up now

Ms Tay said...

thank you so much and hopefully i can be a proud owner of one the units soon. cheers :-)

ssg said...

HI SL,

Would you happen to know which blocks have the pool view? There is a 3-room unit from Block Nipah going for sale. I havent been to Kg. Warisan myself and can't find a plan for the development on the net.

I'm a little worried abt buying via auction because can't aspect the unit from within, what with all the problems with termites.

I noticed that u recently put up ads to rent out your unit. Any idea whats the occupancy rate for the 3-room unit? Perhaps you could put me in touch with one of the agents who handle the area.

sinleong said...

my 1br unit has been rented out. good tenant...
but 3br units are harder to rent out... none of the agents here have done a good job so i am not going to recommend any. they tend to just close the deal and no follow ups after that, especially when there are problematic tenants.

if the price is good...dont worry about termites. they are relatively cheap to fix and the units are ripe for refurbishment anyway